The Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County is seeking a temporary Community Health Outreach Specialist for its Health Planning Council program.
Community Health Outreach Specialist
Director of Health Planning Council
The Community Health Outreach Specialist is responsible for helping Medicaid members with navigating and obtaining medical and community services. They work one-on-one with clients and support them with improving their health.
This is a full time (37.5 hours/ week) temporary position from 8:30-5:00 PM. The position is non-exempt and grant- funded. Benefits include paid-time off and a cafeteria benefit plan.
Hourly rate is in the high teens and dependent upon experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with Medicaid members on a long term basis. Help with navigating and obtaining services that support health.
- Conduct intake assessment. Help client with planning and goal setting.
- Assist clients with finding resources and linking to programs.
- Ensure timely follow-up with clients.
- Help remind clients to attend appointments.
- Work with clients to improve health literacy skills.
- Provide information that is unbiased and culturally appropriate to individual needs.
- Maintain client confidentiality. Protect client information according to regulations. Ensure adherence to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Work cooperatively with others who are assisting the client. Follow agency procedures for obtaining or releasing information.
- Maintain complete and secure records. Prepare reports in accordance with program requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of local, regional, and State programs. Will provide training.
- Attend required meetings and trainings. Training may include the PAM® survey, motivational interviewing, and health coaching.
- Work closely with HSC staff.
- Report on and monitor trends.
- Meet program deliverables.
2. Conduct outreach to the target population:
- Implement strategies to engage the target population.
- Use data to identify the target population.
- Raise awareness about HSC and other community programs.
- Initiate and maintain contacts with key organizations and community groups.
- Show concern for others and ability to build trusting relationships.
- Communicate effectively with individuals. Demonstrate listening and appropriate language skills.
- Work independently.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to pay attention to detail. Have excellent organizational skills.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. accredited college or university in public or health administration, community health, human service studies, or a related field preferred, or Associates degree with commensurate experience.
- Experience working with health and/ or human services programs in Tompkins County.
- Working with populations experiencing health disparities is a plus.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available for occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Must have a car for occasional local travel
Equal Employment Opportunity: All hiring, appointments, promotions, and terms/conditions of employment shall be made on the basis of merit and totally without discrimination based on color, race, national or ethnic origin, gender, creed, sexual orientation or affectation, gender identity, marital status, age, religious preference, disability, economic, status, political beliefs or veteran status.
The Human Services Coalition is a Living Wage employer.