The Community Health Outreach Specialist is responsible for outreach to Medicaid members and assisting them with obtaining community services. They will work one-on-one with clients and support them with their goals and needs.
Reports to: Director of Health Planning Council
This is a part time (15 hours/ week) temporary position that will conclude March 31, 2020. The position is non-exempt and grant- funded.
Hourly rate is in the high teens and dependent upon experience.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and résumé to Tamara Beardsley at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or the materials may be mailed to 171 East Martin Luther King, Jr. Street, #133, Ithaca, NY 14850. Position will stay open until a suitable candidate is found.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with Medicaid members and helps them with navigating and obtaining services that support their health.
- Assess needs and helps client with planning and goal setting.
- Assist clients with finding resources and linking to programs.
- Ensure timely follow-up with clients.
- Work with clients to improve health literacy skills.
- Provide information that is unbiased and culturally appropriate to individual needs.
- Maintain client confidentiality. Protect client information according to regulations. Ensure adherence to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Work cooperatively with others who are assisting the client. Follow agency procedures for obtaining or releasing information.
- Maintain complete and secure records. Prepare reports in accordance with program requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of local, regional, and State programs. Will provide training.
- Attend required meetings and trainings. Training may include the PAM® survey, motivational interviewing, and health coaching.
- Work closely with HSC staff.
- Report on and monitor trends.
- Meet program deliverables.
- Conduct outreach to the target population:
- Implement strategies to engage the target population.
- Use data to identify the target population.
- Raise awareness about HSC and other community programs.
- Initiate and maintain contacts with key organizations and community groups.
- Show concern for others and ability to build trusting relationships.
- Communicate effectively with individuals. Demonstrate listening and appropriate language skills.
- Work independently.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to pay attention to detail. Have excellent organizational skills.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. accredited college or university in public or health administration, community health, human service studies, or a related field is preferred, or equivalent commensurate experience.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available for occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Must have a car for occasional local travel
Equal Employment Opportunity: All hiring, appointments, promotions, and terms/conditions of employment shall be made on the basis of merit and totally without discrimination based on color, race, national or ethnic origin, gender, creed, sexual orientation or affectation, gender identity, marital status, age, religious preference, disability, economic, status, political beliefs or veteran status.
The Human Services Coalition is a Living Wage employer.