The Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County, Inc. (HSC) is seeking candidates for the position of Director of Finance. The Director of Finance will work directly with the Executive Director and be the chief financial officer of the organization with the responsibilities of maintaining the computerized accounting and payroll processing systems, vouchering for grants, overseeing contract compliance, preparing financial statements, overseeing employee benefits, and supervision of the Accounting Manager.
HSC is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming and supports retention of employees from BIPOC communities and other underrepresented groups.
Director of Finance
Member of management team with responsibility for maintaining computerized accounting and payroll systems including the preparation of financial statements and budgets. Provides program and organizational analysis and acts as financial liaison to local and state funders.
Full time, 37.5 hours a week, Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000 depending on experience with a competitive benefits package including a cafeteria benefits plan and PTO.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and résumé to Tamara S. Beardsley at: email@example.com.
Position will stay open until a suitable candidate is found.
This position is based in Ithaca, New York. A metropolitan region of over 100,000, Ithaca is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College and is consistently recognized by many as one of the best places to live in the country for its natural and cultural assets.
As part of HSC’s mission to enhance the delivery of health and human services in Tompkins County, we envision a community that embraces the dignity and well-being of all people. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming and supports retention of employees from BIPOC communities and other underrepresented groups. Please visit our website to learn more about our programs, and our Anti-Racism work within our organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keep Executive Director fully apprised of the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for maintaining computerized accounting and payroll records, including:
a) Maintaining a multi-program accounting system.
b) Overseeing payroll processing done by the Accounting Manager. HSC currently uses ADP for payroll processing as well as time and attendance (including time benefit accrual management).
c) Oversee Accounts Payable – Accounting Manager processes invoices and checks.
d) Accounts & Grants Receivables – FD vouchers for most grants – is assisted by Accounting Manager.
e) Monthly bank reconciliations.
f) Quarterly financial statements including accompanying notes. Review with the Executive Director, Administration and Budget Committee and program directors.
g) Fixed asset and depreciation schedules, fixed asset capitalization and depreciation entries at year-end.
h) Preparation for annual audit and filing of annual tax returns.
- Prepare annual budget and review actual vs budget on a quarterly basis.
- Present financial reports to Administration and Budget Committee (ABC). Provide staff support to ABC including scheduling meetings, and recording minutes.
- Support the board treasurer in presentation of quarterly financial reports and budget information to the full board.
- Provide support to program directors for grants management including vouchering and grant writing.
- Monitor cash flow, research and advise Executive Director about investments per investment policy.
- Prepare grant vouchers according to funders’ schedules, maintain necessary records, and monitor contracts for financial execution.
- Oversee Accounting Manager in maintaining employee files including hiring forms and employee benefit forms, payroll deduction forms, time benefit accruals, and retirement plan forms.
- Maintain insurance renewal schedule to assure insurance continuation. Review as needed policy changes and quotes.
- When needed, research cost saving possibilities (copier lease, health insurance, etc.).
Detail oriented person with strong organizational skills. Excellent business judgement as well as analytical and decision-making skills. BA in Accounting (MBA/CPA preferred) or equivalent education and experience. Prepared to do hands on daily accounting work as well as quarterly and year-end closing work. Knowledge of QuickBooks software and demonstrated non-profit accounting experience a plus.
The Human Services Coalition is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff. We strongly encourage applications from minorities and members of underrepresented groups.