The Human Services Coalition (HSC) of Tompkins County is seeking a Health Access Coordinator responsible for staffing the consumer assistance program that helps individuals to understand and effectively use their health insurance benefits and/or access health and human services.
Director of Health Planning
The Health Access Coordinator is responsible for staffing the consumer assistance program that helps individuals to understand and effectively use their health insurance benefits and/or access health and human services. The consumer assistance program, part of the statewide Community Health Advocates (CHA) program, provides free, confidential counseling to individuals, families, and small businesses, in addition to educational community presentations. The Health Access Coordinator will maintain certification as an in-person assistor/ navigator with the NY State of Health Marketplace. Currently, assistor/navigator/CHA services are conducted via telephone with the ability to meet in-person, if necessary, using safety precautions.
Full time (37.5 hours/ week), hourly, non-exempt, grant-funded position. Benefits include paid time off and a cafeteria benefit plan which includes health insurance options. Hourly rate ($25-$27/hour) will commensurate with experience.
As part of HSC’s mission to enhance the delivery of health and human services in Tompkins County, we envision a community that embraces the dignity and well-being of all people. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming and supports retention of employees from BIPOC communities and other underrepresented groups. Our organization is also committed to becoming a trusted partner to BIPOC and marginalized communities, and organizations that are led by or serve them. Please visit our website to learn more about our programs, and our Anti-Racism work within our organization.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume to Tamara Beardsley at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinating and staffing HSC’s consumer assistance program. S/he/they will help individuals use their public or private health insurance benefits, resolve billing issues, dispute coverage denials and eligibility determinations, maximize coverage, access affordable health care services and prescription financial help programs, and get other coverage. The Health Access Coordinator will:
- Maintain expertise in local, regional, State, and national programs that assist individuals and businesses in securing health and/or human services.
- Help clients with finding and/or changing providers.
- Help clients navigate services that improve health status.
- Attend required meetings and trainings/webinars.
- Provide information in a manner that is culturally appropriate to the needs of the individual or business, follow up in a timely manner, maintain secure records, collect, enter, and report data in accordance with program requirements.
- Work closely with 211 Information and Referral program staff to coordinate intake of new clients.
- Monitor and report on trends.
- Ensure that program deliverables are achieved.
Providing community presentations and reaching vulnerable populations.
- Educate consumers and small businesses about the health insurance system.
- Reach out to targeted groups experiencing disparities in health care such as racial and ethnic populations, rural residents, people with disabilities, lower socioeconomic classes, people with mental illnesses, etc.
- Assist with developing and implementing a publicity plan to raise awareness about HSC programs that help with accessing health related services.
- Maintain contact with key local organizations and encourage coordination of resources.
Maintain up-to-date expertise in the NY State of Health enrollment process including eligibility requirements, financial assistance guidelines, program specifications, and plan offerings for both individuals and small businesses.
- Become certified as a NY State of Health Navigator/ Certified Application Counselor. Training will be arranged by the Human Services Coalition.
- As needed, provide in-person assistance for individuals and small businesses who apply for health plan coverage through the NY State of Health Marketplace.
Assist in special projects on an as-needed basis
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals and groups, excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and ability to work with local and regional committees. Ability to work independently. Computer experience required, including a solid mastery of Microsoft Office software, and being comfortable with web-based systems. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Associate’s degree from a U.S. accredited college or university preferred.
- Experience working with health insurance, human services programs, or populations experiencing health disparities is a plus.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available for evening and weekend hours for occasional events/trainings (infrequent basis).
- Must have a car for travel to meetings/events, which are primarily in Tompkins County, but include regional (within 60 miles) on occasion.
- As part of the federal requirement for organizations that receive funds from a federal contract, everyone at HSC must be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (two shots of Moderna/Pfizer/1 shot of Johnson & Johnson) by December 8th, unless you have a medical/religious exemption
The Human Services Coalition is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff. We strongly encourage applications from minorities and members of underrepresented groups.