Job Posting – Accounting Associate (Part Time)
The Human Services Coalition (HSC) is seeking an organized, task-oriented staff person to join its finance team as an Accounting Associate. The ideal candidate will be accurate in their work, be attentive to detail, and have general knowledge of accounting and payroll processes.
About the Human Services Coalition:
HSC envisions a community that embraces the dignity and well-being of all people, supported by a vibrant not-for-profit sector. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and supports the retention of passionate, talented employees, from a variety of personal and professional backgrounds. We strive to cultivate a workforce that represents the populations we serve.
HSC supports historically marginalized communities, and organizations that are led by and/or serve them. We join with other not-for-profit organizations to explore inequities in systems of institutional power and are working to dismantle them in the not-for-profit sector. We seek to meet the highest standard of performance, quality, and services as we work to achieve our mission. Please visit hsctc.org to learn more about our commitment to these values through our programs and our work.
About the Position:
The Accounting Associate supports the Finance Director with payroll management, accounts payable and receivable, grant/contract invoice preparation, and general finance and accounting duties to ensure financial success of the organization. The Accounting Associate also supports the organization’s Human Resources systems and initiatives, including employee onboarding and policy management.
- General accounting duties including accounts receivable and deposits, accounts payable (processing invoices and cutting checks), general ledger recording, and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare invoices with backup documentation for grant payments and reimbursement requests from funders.
- Maintain employee records, including hiring and employee benefits, payroll deductions, time benefit accruals, and retirement plans.
- Prepare and process bi-weekly payroll for the organization using ADP’s online payroll system, including timecard verification, earning and deduction adjustments, and benefit accrual management.
- Maintain accurate time allocation records for grant-funded positions.
- Assist with quarterly closings and annual budget work.
- Assist with preparation for the annual audit and tax return.
- Support the development and implementation of HR initiatives and systems, including hiring processes, employee onboarding, and policy management.
- Help keep the organization up-to-date on state and federal labor laws.
- Other finance and HR duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills:
If you are interested in the work described in this posting, we strongly encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet all the listed qualifications.
- Familiarity with general accounting principles, bookkeeping/accounting experience (especially not-for-profit accounting).
- Task oriented, great attention to detail and accuracy, and strong organizational skills.
- High ethical standards/integrity and confidentiality.
- Effective communication skills.
- Able to work independently.
- Comfort with computers and web-based systems.
- Able to learn new concepts and procedures quickly and easily.
- Familiarity with payroll processes and concepts, including payroll withholdings and taxes, a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat, and/or ADP, a plus.
Reports to: Finance Director
Pay Rate: $22-25/hour. Non-exempt, part-time, 25 hours per week.
Benefits: The Human Services Coalition offers a pro-rated cafeteria benefit plan (currently $360/month for this part-time position) that can be used towards health, dental and/or vision insurance, Health Savings Account contributions, or taken as taxable income. HSC also offers a 403(b) retirement account, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for free counseling services, and generous time off, with paid holidays, vacation, and sick time.
Consistent with the Human Services Coalition’s Hybrid Work Policy, a flexible hybrid schedule (in-office and remote) may be possible.
How to Apply:
Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. This position is open until filled.
HSC is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from people from all backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, gender identities, and abilities.
If you are interested in the work described in this posting, we strongly encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet all the listed qualifications. We value experience in the field and recognize that there are a variety of ways that relevant experience can be gained. Candidates should include experience gained through internships, volunteer work, lived experience, and community involvement beyond paid positions related to this position.
All hiring, appointments, promotions, and terms/conditions of employment shall be made on the basis of merit and without discrimination, including but not limited to biases of color, race, national or ethnic origin, gender, creed, sexual orientation or affectation, gender identity, marital status, age, religious preference, disability, economic status, political beliefs or veteran status.
The Human Services Coalition is an equal opportunity and Living Wage employer.