The Human Services Coalition is dedicated to helping your nonprofit be the best it can be. Depending on your needs and project scope, we can engage directly with your organization or connect you with our vast network of consultants.
HSC offers high-quality, affordable consulting services tailored to meet your needs. Whether your organization is small or large, we provide consulting expertise in several areas including governance, board development, planning and strategy, fundraising, and program development and evaluation.
Regional Consultants Network
HSC is plugged into an extensive network of the region’s premier nonprofit consultants.
We can leverage this network to help you get the precise knowledge and expertise you need to move your mission forward.
For more information, please contact our Director of Leadership Development and Consulting Services, Shasta Savage.
HSC also maintains an online Leadership Development Library full of useful information, articles, and sample documents geared towards nonprofit board and staff.
Get Out of Town Program – Conference/Seminar Assistance
This fund provides financial assistance to not-for-profit professionals to attend out-of-town conferences, seminars, and workshops outside of Tompkins County.
The funds can be used for registration fees and travel expenses.
Conferences allow attendees to develop strong professional networks, learn about leading practices, explore innovative techniques, and hear from experts and others in their field. They can re-energize, spark new ideas, and gain fresh perspectives on their work and the collective work of the not-for-profit sector.
Priority consideration are given to organizations that are BIPOC led and/or serve primarily BIPOC communities and those with limited professional development budgets.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- Paid employee of a not-for-profit community-based organization or a fiscally sponsored program in Tompkins County.
- To be considered, request for support will be submitted a minimum of four weeks prior to the final day of registration for the conference.
- Conferences must be within the United States or Canada
- Funding for in-person conference registration, fees, travel, lodging, and food
- Award is for up to $1,200 per person and up to two people per application
(Requests that can demonstrate an increased benefit for more than 2 people attending may be considered)
- Awards are given on a rolling basis
- One award per organization per year
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an online request form at least four weeks prior to prior to the final day of registration for the conference, seminar or workshop.
- Requests will include conference/workshop location, agenda, sessions, and speakers (if available).
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their request within two weeks of submission.
- Funds will be provided to the organization prior to the conference to avoid invoicing or cash outlay by the requesting organization.
- Description of how the conference theme, sessions, or speakers will: enhance their work and the work of their organization; raise professional knowledge, awareness, or understanding; encourage awareness, understanding, and/or collaboration in their respective field related to their organization’s mission and/or specifically their work on behalf of the organization.
- Requestors must demonstrate why the program is cost-prohibitive to their organization and why funding is needed, including but not limited to agency budget and amount allocated for professional development.
- Awardees are required to submit a brief report to HSC post-program outlining the top takeaways/learning points from the event and any other information that might benefit the not for profit community at large.
- Awardees are required to submit receipts matching the amount of the award.
- Failure to submit the post-conference requirements may result in a denial of future funding requests.
Questions may be directed to Tamara S. Beardsley.